The Frontenac Arch Biosphere Network

Follow Us

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • RSS

Dive & Wreck Sites

Prescott Playground
One of Ontario's most popular training area, offers a roped off area with anchors, SS.Prescott and a preplaned sunk sailboat.  Found off Hwy2 and Centre Street in Downtown Prescott.

Fort Wellington/Old Coal Docks
Originally constructed in 1812 and rebuilt in 1837, is a feeding ground for large and small fish.  Two lifeboats can be seen approx.55' deep, 300' off shore.  Park in the Marina's parking lot and carry gear to site.  Easy entry.

Rockport Wall Dive
Only accessible in the non tourist season, typically before Victoria day and after Thanksgiving.  Contact Restaurant management for permission to dive, a $5 fee is required.  The wall goes from 15' to 80' immediately in front of the pier.  At the boathouse, across from the pier, depths of 160' can be reached. (geodiving.com)

Windmill Site

Upper and Lower Brewers Mills, ON
This 'scavenger's dream' dive may be just the place for you.  A shore dive, 0-28' offers steady current combined with the locks opening and closing, accumulates all kinds of stuff in between the locks: pipes, old and newer bottles, anything that rolls on the river bottom can get caught in the mud.  Found off Hwy15, north of  Kingston, ON (northerntechdiver.com)

Arizona, ON
Located southwest of the ferry landing on the south shore of Wolfe Island near the red buoy.  Built in 1898 Arixona caught fire December 4, 1922 and without adequate water hose protection was towed 1.5 miles upstream where her sea cocks were opened and she sand into 25' of water.  She was a wooden propeller barge wiht a 765 ton displacement, length of 186' and beam of 33'. (1000islands.com)

Brockville Waterfront

Brule Road Quarry, ON
Just south of the 401, this quarry was a local source of limestone for many years.  Since being closed as a working quarry it has become a local swimming and diving attraction.  There is plenty of parking and a clean sandy beach entry.  In the water there are several sunken boats ranging from outboards to a cabin cruser dobbed the 'Never Done'.  There are several fixed lines and a platform in the centre of the quarry.  An excellent training site.  Admission is $3.  (northerntechdiver.com)

Ivy Lea Park, ON
A good drift dive or for those interested in seeing fish.  Park admission is required and use of the beach should be respective of other campers.  The dive can be done by kayak or shore.  It is recommended to keep a depth of 40-60' to get familiarize with the site during the first dive.  At 50-70' near the point, there is a counter-current more of less important which may even stop you.  An underwater waterfall is south of the beach. (neptune-scuba.info)

Marine Museum, ON
The Marine Museum, located in downtown Kingston, is a local favorite scrounge dive.  A typical night dive can bring out Ling Cod, salamanders, pike, perch,...and if you are into bottling, this may be the Mecca of Glass.  Local divers show off their finding on a series of timbers located on route to an old barge.  Boat traffic in the summer can be busy so be aware of your depths and pay attention when exiting and entering. (northerntechdiver.com)

Nicholson's Point, ON
Just outside of Kingston down Hwy2 is this great little dive to practice your skills or even get some depth in.  This is actually the recommended site by the Coast Guard for the then sinking of the Gatineau.  A public park, respect other visitors.  (northerntechdiver.com)

Stacked Hulls, ON
Is one of the best shore dives in the Kingston area.  Roughly 20 minute swim from shore just behind the marina, off a rocky little 'beach'.  Follow a series of lengths of pipe which turn into a line to a huge anchor.  Be sure to check out the reversed swastika on the left fluke.  Just beyond there you'll pass a lawn chair before starting the swim to the wreck.   The wrecks are one small boat on top of a large one or two.  Some believe there are three wrecks; you can decide yourself.  The hulls are not spectacular yet is an interesting dive. (scubaq.ca)

HMS St.Lawrence, ON
Just off the old Morton Brewery in Kingston is one of the most famous ships of the War of 1812.  In only 30' of water at the most is her remains.  When first launched she gave a scare to the Americans just at the site of her.  After the war and the Bagot agreement she became  a storage facility for the Morton Brewery where she sand and was forgotten about.  Entry is done at the Domino Theatre.  Swim north east parallel to shore.   Reaching25' you will come to what were once docks.  Swimming around, debris is found; mess kits, parts of vases.  At 8-10' into the shallow bay, the ships remains are found. (kingstondiving.blog.ca)

Sir Robert Peel, ON
This British steamer was built in Brockville around 1837.  One evening in 1838 she was tied up at Wellesley Island for firewood, however she experienced a visit by 'porate' Bill Johnston and friends disguised as Indians.  After looting everything they set fire to the 'Peel' and set her adrift to sink.  She is found just upstream from the 1000 islands bridge, 120-135' of water with her boiler sitting in 80' water. (sharkyscuba.com)

Robert Gaskin, ON
Originally a three masted wooden barge, it was launched at Kingston on  April 21, 1889.  In 1889 the Gaskin was being used as a salvage barge to help salvage the railroad ferry Armstrong that had sunk, during this process the Gaskin sand three times, with the third time on September 18th, 1889 being the final time.  A large anchor is located off the bow of the Gaskin.  He sits a half mile downstream from the Brockville waterfront and river focal point, "Blockhouse Island" and lies perpendicular to the current at a 55' depth at the bow, 70' stern, which sticks out towards the channel and shipping lane.  The upstream shipping channel is very close to the stern and caution is advised. (diveseewayvision.com)

Henry C.Daryaw
A 220' long steel freighter that sunk in 1941 in collision wiht the shoal between American and Canadian Channels.  The navigator did not see the shoal in a deep fog and she run into the shoal bow first wiht significant speed.  She sunk soon after.  During sinking, she flipped upside down and landed right next to the wall with the deepest part at 90'.  The current is strong to ripping, but the wall provides a little protection once you get down the the wreck.  The descent line is ties near the props and then another line leads to the block on the bottom.  There is a line running alongside the wreck that could be used for pulling when the current is just too strong. (wrecksandreefs.com)

Kingshorn-Hiram A.Walker
April 27, 1897, the tug under Captain Boyd had sever barges under tow in the American channel near Thousand Island Park.  She was caught in a storm losing barges on the south shore and 2 barges at Johnston's light opposite the park.  With four barges left the Walker headed for Grenadier Island where the Captian of the Kingshorn reported his craft leaking badly.  She headed for Rockport with theinjured barge however lost her 1/2 mile from Rockport in 90'water.  Located directly in front of the Customs Office and Andress Marina/Rockport Dive Centre, this wooden vessel sites in 90' water and unfortunately in the middle of the small boat shipping channel.  A buoy is maintained by the Rockport Dive Centre and Air Station. (sharkyscuba.com)

A.E.Vickery
Built in 1861 and launched July 1861 at Three Mile Bay, NY as 'JB Penfield' and sank August 17, 1889.  This wooden three master schooner was remaned AE Vickery, February 25, 1884 and struck a rock while entering the American 'Narrows' with a cargo of 21.000 bushels of corn destined for Wisers Distillery at Prescott, ON.  Normally buoyed and located along side Rock Island Reef Light, divers can follow the buoy line into a very quick surface current onto the shoal head in 25-30' of water.  The bow of the Vickery lies about 10-15' away at a depth of 65'. (geodiving.com)

Muscallonge, ON
"Muskie" has become a favorite regional site.  This net 245 ton vessel suffered a fire before sinking to her resting spot 1.5 mile downstream from Blockhouse Island on Friday, Augst 15, 1936.  The Muscallonge was noted as the largest tug on the Lakes and St.Lawrence River in her day.  She departed Montreal destined for Port Credit, towing the small tug Ajax and the barge Brice Hudson loaded with crude oil.  The fire is believed to have started in the boiler compartment and spread rapidly.  The wreck sits in 98' on a firm bottom.

The "Muskie" is a boat dive, resting about 300' from shore in a quick current.  Although the evidence of the fire that claimed her is clear, her boiler and engine remain impressive and her starboard side remains in tact. (1000-island.com)

Roy A.Jodery

Oconto

Lillie Parsons, Sparrow Island, ON
Although this location is considered a shore dive, you need to get to the Island this wreck is off of.  It is a great place to dock your boat and have a picnic, or find a local charter operator that will drop you off in the morning and pick you up later that day.  The Lillie is one of the areas most popular wrecks, lying upside down in 50-70' off the Sparrow Island, in a strong current on the edge of the shipping channel.  Recommended diving off the Lillis is off of Sparrow Island.  Walk across the island to the west side and enter the water near the anchor sitting on shore.  Follow the anchor chain down to the wreck. Depending on the current, you might feel like a flag in the wind.  Explore the wreck and then drift around the island back to where the boat is docked.  You will have to pay close attention to detail as to not miss the end of the island.  There is normally a rope line running up to the edge of the bay where the boats park. (geodiving.com)

SS Keystorm, NY
The region's premier wreck; this 2300 ton steamer was built in Wellsand, England.  Carrying 2230 tons of bituminous coal from Genesee Dock at Charlotte, NY and under the command of Capt. L Daigualt, she was 45 minutes past Alexandria Bay in dense fog on October 12, 1912 when she crossed over Outre Scow Island Shoal and in minutes, was on the bottom without fatalities.  Keystorm now lays on her starboard side, bow in 20' and stern in 115' and was declared unsalvageable.  Double wrappings of 4" cable at 20' intervals remain as evidence of salvage attempts.

Many divers quickly climatize at the bow area and follow the port (shallowest) side to the stern and drop over for a look at the prop at 115' and then return to the deck and weave their way back to the bow.  If uncomfortabel, stop midship and push away from the deck about 30-50' and visually encompass the wreck stem to stern.  With the exhaust of other divers, it is quite a sight viewing that much wreck, with clear water and exhaust bubbles climbing to the surface, just like in the tropics. (1000-islands.com)

Rothesay

Conestoga

Wee Hawk

Pentland-FA Georger

America
On June 20, 1932 this steel drill barge was sunk due to an explosion.  The shoal side gives evidence to the American's work with the blasted rock rubble along side.  The usual path back is swimming upstream on the shoal side and accessing the guide rope back to the buoy area to access your boat.  This site rests at a depth of 75', upside down across the shipping channel from Jordstat Castle and Dark Island east of Mallorytown Landing.  Normally a guide line is buoyed immediately east of Black Buoy #167 on the downstream side of the shipping lane. (1000-islands/com)

Munson

KPH Wreck

Prince Regent

Wolf Islander II, Kingston
This 80' long car ferry, built in 1946, was intentionally sunk September 21, 1985 as a diving site by area divers.  It is becoming one of the region's most popular wrecks.  Dropping down the line and reaching the bow davit, it is only another dozen feet to the open door of the wheel house.  Within the doorways, the air pocket above divers' heads is exhaust from previous divers and is not for breathing. 

On the starboard side divers encounter a stainless steel tube which is a 'time capsule' and contains memorabilia from 1985 for the people of 2035.  A near by doorway leads to the engine room and only the diver wiht experience, skills and training should proceed here. (1000-islands.com)

Frontenac

Anni Falconer

Glenora

Cornwall

Coment
A 337 ton sidewheel steamer, was built in 1848 at Portsmouth, ON by shipbuilder George N.Ault.  She was unique as she was powered by 2 'walking beam' type steam engines with a 51" piston.  She was a passender steamer used by travellers, but after a few short trips she struck a shoal in the St. Lawrence and sank.  She was raised, repaired and put back into service.  I n 1949, a burst steam pipe seriously injured 3 Irish firemen, two of them fatally.  Then, in 1851, after being damaged by a boiler explosion during her departure from Oswego NY, she was rebuilt and renamed 'Mayflower'.  One gusty sprin evening in May 1861, on her first voyage of the season, the steamer left Kingston for the last time.  Strong winds were out of the southwest as she cleared Nine Mile Point off the westerly end of Simcoe Island.  The Coment altered course toward Timber Island under Captain Francis Paterson to give wide berth to 3 sailing ships on the horizon.  An hour later, the Comet and the schooner 'Exchange' collided when the Exchange attempted to run for safe harbor from the storm.  Both ships attempted to stay close to kep out hte other but the wind took the schooner out of hailing distance.  The Coment kept it's steam engines running and, in an attempt to make shore, managed to travel to within 2 miles of Simcoe Island, while the Comet sank about 1.5 miles off the Island.  She was rediscovered, noted by her bad luck, on September 7, 1967.  The Comet lies in 90 feet of water, with her paddlewheels still upright, though much of the top decking has collapsed.  For those trained and experienced, penetration below deck is possible at the stern for a view of the boilers and the engines.  Good buoyancy is important as silt can be stirred very quickly making it difficult for hte next diver to see.  There are also some places and cups left on the decking, completing the underwater museum.  The Comet is a spectacular example of ships of her time and is a special favorite of divers who visit her.  Of consideration to the recreational diver is time because of her depth.  There is little current on her, and visibility is usually 20-50', with upwards of 80' in the spring and fall. (1000islands.com)

George T.Davie

City of Sheboygan

Olice Branch

Aloha, ON
The Aloha was built by Williams Dulac in Michigan.  While in tow by the C.W. Chamberlain, en route to Kingston, the Aloha foundered in a gale with the loss of one life.  In August 1963 the Aloha was discovered by local divers.  The hull is mostly intack, and this site is often used as a training dive.  Most of the artifacts have been removed and the winch can be viewed at hte Marine Museum of the Great Lakes, located in Kingston, ON.  A fascinating aspect of the Aloha are the Roman  numeral depth markings on the bow. (1000islands.com)

Effie Mae
Around the year of Canada's 100th birthday, a 40' wooden hull was started in Shelborne, Nova Scotia by Ken and Lois Jenkins of Port Credit, ON.  They brought they partially-built hull to Port Credit and completed it in their back yard.  Launched in 1968, it was christened the Effie Mae.  Around 1980, she became the first live-aboard dive charter boat in the Kingston area before changing hands in 1987.  Sadly, Ken succumded to cancer the following year.  They started chartering out of Kingston up to the 1992 season.  Finding no suitable buyers and not wanting their beloved Effie brocken up or just left to rot, they donated the hull to Preserve Our Wrecks Kingston for sinking.  In the spring of 1993, they ran her for the last time to the Metal Craft Dry dock to be made ready for sinking.  On Sunday, October 17, 1993, 25 years from teh date of her chirstening, the Effie Mae was put to rest beside one of the historic shipwrecks she had visited so many times before.  Today, sitting upright beside the wreck of the schooner barge "Aloha", she is an often visited dive site.  Local divers affectionately refer to hte wreck of the "Effie" as "Ken's Wreck", as itw as Ken Mullings who did most of the work to sind the Effie for all to enjoy.

Hilda

Londonderry

Kattie Eccles

R.H.Rae

China

SM Douglas

George A.March

Iroquois

Williams Jamieson

Cora W Post

© 2017 Frontenac Arch Biosphere. All Rights Reserved.