Skip to main content

SM Douglas

Trail Information

The iron hulled 165 ft long steamer S. M. Douglas (formally the White Star) was built in 1897 for the Oakville Navigation company for use as passenger steamer.  During the summer of 1903 while refitting the White Star burned and was declared a total loss and abandoned until 1905 when she was bought by the St. Lawrence and Ontario Navigation Company and rebuilt for service in Cornwall as a day boat.  In 1926 she caught fire and then sold to John Solwards who rebuilt her as a coal barge.  In use for 13 years and then abandoned.   In 1949 the ship remains were purchased by the Simpson Sand Company and rebuilt into a sand sucker and renamed the SM Douglas.  Abandoned in 1973 in Brockville and then in 1977 she was moved to Kingston to be used as a breakwall.  In 1985 the ship was removed and towed out of Kingston harbour and scuttled.

Difficulties

Advanced

Directions

Near Pigeon Island, Lake Ontario, Canada

Depth 110 ft (33.5 m)