Lemoine Point includes 136 hectares of forest, field and marsh, with more than 2,500 metres of shoreline. Along with its 11km of hiking trails, Lemoine Point features swimming, fishing and picnic areas with barbeques. Fishing is permitted in the Conservation Area in accordance with current Ministry of Natural Resources regulations.
The Friends of Lemoine Point are very active. Some of their projects include the Red Oak Reforestation Project, the Heritage Forest Program, the Native Plant Nursery, invasive species control and trail management.
Lemoine Point Conservation Area has two entrances; off Hwy. 33 at Collins Bay and off Front Road past the airport, Kingston.
Click here for Google Map directions to LEMOINE POINT CONSERVATION AREA
*Note: Directions lead to map coordinates (in longitude/latitude) of the main trailhead
Lemoine Point Conservation Area has an interesting history. Starting in the 1760s it was part of the seigneury. The land was seized from the French by the British after the Seven Years War in 1760. In 1784, it was awarded to the United Empire Loyalist Captain Johan Jots Herkimer. During the War of 1812, several cannons were planted on the Point in the expectation that the Americans might land. In 1836, the Point was sold to Captain William Lemoine, a retired British Army officer who settled here. The property remained in his family until the 1910s. In 1918, the property was purchased by William Hugh Coverdale. Shortly after buying the property and during excavation for a second stone house, several old cannon balls were unearthed. In 1975, the land was purchased for park area by the Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority.