Skip to main content

Historic Sites

Historic Sites

Additional Information

Battle of the Windmill
Maitland, Partiot War 1838
During the Patriot War Prescott was attacked at Windmill Point in November 1838 by a group of Americans, who still believed that Canadians wanted to be free of Britian. It was a well planned attack. The steamer United States was rafted together with two sailing ships loaded with men and equipment, and journeyed through the islands to Morristown, NY. There the sailing ships were set to carry out the attack. The landing was bungled, one schooner ran aground at Ogdensburg. The other anchored off the Windmill and put a small army ashore. In Prescott, Experiment, a British steamer fired on the grounded ship. Local militia and regulars attacked the invaders at the Windmill and a stone house they occupied. Eventually a larger force came from Kingston with 18 pound guns and the invaders were pounded into submission. The invaders were tried, the leader hunged and several sent to Tasmania.

Raid on Gananoque
War of 1812
On September 21st, American Captain Forsyth lead a raid on the supply depot at Gananoque...

Kingston City Hall
Designed by George Browne, the city hall was built as a town hall and market building. In June 1891, Sir John A. Macdonald's body lay in state in what is now Memorial Hall. Kingston was the Capital of the Province of Canada from February 15, 1841 until December 31, 1857 with Queen Victoria declairing Ottawa as Capital.

Brockville City Hall
Constructed between 1862 and 1864 Victoria Hall (now Brockville City Hall) was built to replace Est Ward Market Hall which had served as part of the site of an outdoor market dating back to 1932 when the land from King's Highway (King Street) down to the St. Lawrence was originally given to the local government by the Honourable Charles Jones. Designed by architect Henry H. Horsely of Kingston, the son of the well-known architect Edward Horsey, Victoria Hall was constructed by John Steacy Jr. and David S. Booth with Mayor Wiliam Fitzsimmons acting as superintendent of construction. On October 8, 1864 Madam A. Bishop's concert was the first recorded use of the second-floor concert hall. The Post Office rented the first floor offices for 20 years and in the 1880's the main block of the building was converted to town offices with changes designed by Brockville architect O.E.Liston. 1904 market the addition of two floors to the one-story market in the back of the building.

Boldt Castle
Built by George C. Boldt as a display of his love for his wife Louise, Boldt Castle is located on Heart Island in the St. Lawrence River.

Half Moon Bay
Bostwich Island east side - Church services
This crescent-shaped bay has been used for church services since 1887. There is a granite pulpit and now a sound system. Church is around 4p.m. every summer Sunday.

Indian Head
Charleston Lake
Indian Head is a natural formation in the high rock wall on the water that looks like its namesake. It is also called "Old Baldy", a great echo place.

Englishman's Monument
Charleston Lake
In 1876 William Haig had a houseboat on Charleston and fished. He helped all the poor people in the area. He had the monument built to give local men work. He left the year after, never to return.

Delta Mill
First temperance speech in Canada in a 5 mill town where each mill made liquor from the remaining mash. Even the minister was involved. Twenty-two shops sold 15,000 gallons of whiskey a year. The mill continues to grind grain and produce bread today.

Thousand Island Park
It began as a church camp and developed into wonderful gingerbread summer homes.

Butternut Bay
It began as a church camp and developed into wonderful gingerbread summer homes.

American Canoe Club
It began as a joint camp for Canadian and U.S. citizens. Americans still come every year to set up on tent platforms and have canoe/sailing races.

Tremont Park Island
It is a community of mostly local people and had a hotel where See's Candy started.

The steamer stop for Mr. Darling of Lansdowne. He was the tea merchant for western Canada and sent tea from Lansdowne on the Grand Truck Railroad. The original store remains in Lansdowne.

This sculpture was put in place to mark the 3,000 year old canoe route; learn more here.

The Blue Church
United Church (Methodist) founder Barbara Heck build her first church 6.1km east of Maitland. Learn more here.

La Rue Mills
Vermonter Billa La Rue and his family, loyal to Britain in the War of Independence, fled to Canada in 1784, settling at the creek that bears his name. His saw mill and grist mill were some of the earliest in the region, and important in the lives of early settlers. The sturdy log house is one of the region's oldest homes, and still stands and is lived in today. La Rue's story extends beyond the grave, and legend has it he buried a fortune in gold within site of the bedroom window where he died. A ghost story speaks of black cattle that thundered at and chased away would-be treasure-seekers in the middle of a night, just when they thought their shovels had hit a metal box - something never discovered again.

Martello Towers
War of 1812
The Murney, Shoal, Cathcart and Point Fredrick Towers were built...

War of 1812
On July 31, 1812 the American ship Julia held off the British Earl of Moria and Duke of Gloucester off Brockville, when the British ships attempted to attack other American ships at anchor. On February 7, 1813 an American attack on Brockville resulted in the capture of American deserters, who were taken back to Odgensburg.

Brockville Blockhouse
Patriots War
The Blockhouse at Brockville that gave Blockhouse Islands its name was built in the Patriot's War from 1837 to 1838, to protect the town from potential American attacks.

Ogdensburg, NY
War of 1812
On October 4th, 1812 the British attached Igdensburg, a trans-shipping depot, repelled by American artillery. A second attack on February 22, 1813 resulted in the capture of the town, and its food stores and military supplies.

Chimney Island
East of Mallorytown Landing
Chimney Island was located on the Canadian side of the river, halfway from Kingston and Fort Wellington at Prescott. Protected by mid-river shoals from attacks from American shores, Chimney Island was a protected rest stop for supply convoys and troops. The blockhouse's chimney was notoriously smokey, and the garrison often camped on the nearby mainland.

Gananoque Blockhouse
On Gananoque River
After the 1812 raid on Gananoque, an octagonal blockhouse was built in 1813, with five guns, to protect the town, it's supply and gunboat base. Falling into disrepair after the war, it was refurbished in the Patriot's War of 1837-1838 and stood until 1852.

Skirmish at French Creek
Clayton, NY
On November 1st and 2nd, the British under Captain Mulcaster attempted to disrupt American Majoy General James Wilkinson's advance guard and flotilla as it went downriver from Sackett's Harbour to Montreal.

Skirmish at Cranberry Creek
On July 19th, 1813 a British gunboat chased American soldiers up the winding, shallows of Cranberry Creek where an ambush was sprung.

La Rue Mills
West of Mallorytown Landing
Billa La Rue's grist mill was on La Rue Creek, just a short distance from the St. Lawrence River. It was one of the few in the region, and strategic because it added to supplies of both settlers and British troops. Rifle pits at the mouth of the creek were build where soldiers could defend the mill, but the mill was never attacked.

Royal Naval Dockyards
Constructed in 1789, the only Royal Naval dockyard on Lake Ontario, was in operation until 1853. Currently the site of the Royal Military College. Learn more here.

Chippewa Bay, NY
An island group that comemmerates the Indian allies of the British that fought in the War of 1812.