There are many things you can do to conserve energy in your home. This not only protects valuable resources and prevents damage to the environment, but can also save money on your energy bill!
This website has a series of newsletters covering different topics in energy conservation from preparing your home for the winter, involving kids in energy-saving activities, to computer use tips, and advice on ceiling fans. Click here to browse the newsletters. Explore other sections of the website for more programs and advice.
Great Resources for Kids
- EcoKids! has games, activities, printable pages and information for kids and teachers about wildlife, science & nature, energy and environmental issues.
- NRDC's Green Squad are kids taking action for greener, healthier schools.
- Great Resources for Teachers Ontario EcoSchools is designed to help school boards and schools play their part in responding to one of the great challenges of our time: the increasingly urgent need to live more sustainably.
- Green Street endeavours to provide opportunities to actively engage students and teachers in environmental learning and sustainability education.
- Toyota Evergreen Learning Grounds helps schools create outdoor classrooms to provide students with a healthy place to play, learn and develop a genuine respect for nature.
- David Suzuki Foundation's Nature Challenge asks "What are the 10 best ways we can help conserve nature and improve our quality of life?"
- Earth Day Canada helps Canadians of all ages achieve local solutions while improving the environment.
- EcoMentors gives hands-on, real-world experience working with elementary school students. Be an ecoMentor and help kids explore the planet.
- Council of Outdoor Educators of Ontario is a volunteer-based organization that promotes safe and high-quality outdoor education experiences for people of all ages.
- Green Teacher Magazine is created by and for educators to enhance environmental and global education across the curriculum at all grade levels.
- Beyond the Playground: Outdoor Activities for Kids - this page has so many great ideas for playing outside! (Special thanks to Nicole for finding this great page!)
- The Bottle Store: Ways to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle Your Plastic Bottles - Links and downloads with ideas for all ages on how to get started recycling
- How to Recycle Anything - our guide highlights over 200 everyday household items – ranging from old cell phones to yoga mats and shower curtains to crayons